Untreated macular degeneration is one of the leading causes of blindness in those over 65 years old.
While researchers have not yet discovered a cure for age-related macular degeneration (AMD), there are treatment options which prevent the disease from progressing to blindness, and in some cases, they can even improve vision. It’s important to have an open discussion with your Clio eye doctor about the risks and limitations of AMD treatments.
Types of Macular Degeneration:
There are 2 basic types of AMD, the wet form and the dry form.
- Dry macular degeneration is considered the less aggressive form of AMD. It typically progresses much more slowly, and the level of eyesight damage is less severe. Dry AMD is detected during routine eye exams, which is why it’s important to have yearly testing. Treating Dry AMD often involves high doses of zinc and antioxidants which have been shown to slow diseases progression.
- Wet macular degeneration is the more severe form of AMD. It occurs when there is abnormal blood vessel growth (angiogenesis), and leakage, which can cause scar tissue to develop. Treatments include laser surgery, injecting light sensitive dyes, or AMD medication injected directly into the eye to inhibit angiogenesis.
AMD is an age-related eye disease that runs in families, and is a leading cause of blindness in our aging population. There is no cure for this ocular disease, and AMD related vision loss is cannot usually be recovered. There are treatments, and preventative measures that can be taken, if detected early, so routine eye exams are essential.
Read more about macular degeneration symptoms and treatment.
Special thanks to the EyeGlass Guide for informational material that aided in the creation of this website. Visit the EyeGlass Guide today!
Special Products For Macular Degeneration
EyePromise Restore (New & Improved)
EyePromise® Restore offers a full suite of essential nutrients to proactively reduce the risk of developing age-related eye health issues. Don't be reactive with your eye health. Be proactive with EyePromise Restore.
As science progresses, so does the EyePromise Restore formula. Based on cutting-edge research, EyePromise Restore now includes vitamins B6 and B12, folic acid, and CoQ10.
Visionary Nutrition for Proactive Eye Care
A combined 12 mg of the dietary nutrients zeaxanthin and lutein have been proven beneficial for age-related eye health issues. Restore provides this level of antioxidant protection. Because healthy eyes accumulate zeaxanthin and lutein at a ratio of 2:1, Restore was formulated with 8 mg of zeaxanthin and 4 mg of lutein.
Only EyePromise Restore offers this amount of zeaxanthin, the superior antioxidant chosen by the retina to protect central vision.
Is Restore right for me?
EyePromise Restore is specifically formulated for those concerned with, or at risk for, age-related eye health issues.
Risks for developing age-related eye health issues include:
- Over 50 years of age
- A family history of age-related eye health issues
- Light skin and eyes
- Smoking (former or current)
- Poor diet
EyePromise Zeaxanthin + Lutein
Zeaxanthin and lutein are found naturally in the back of the eye, keeping vision healthy and nourished. Since our bodies do not reproduce these nutrients, it’s important to take an eye vitamin to help with eye health.
- Naturally protect vision
- Increase contrast sensitivity
- Pair with a multi-vitamin
EyePromise® Zeaxanthin + Lutein is the optimal combination of essential nutrients for healthy vision.
Zeaxanthin and lutein are found naturally in the back of the eye, keeping vision healthy and nourished. As our bodies do not reproduce these nutrients, it’s important to take an eye vitamin to help build up our natural levels.
Zeaxanthin + Lutein is formulated to:
- Protect and enhance vision naturally
- Help build up the defensive barrier responsible for protecting the back of the eye (where central and peripheral vision come from) from oxidants
This eye health vitamin is right for you if:
- You want your eyes to get the amount of zeaxanthin and lutein needed to help protect vision
- You’re looking for an eye health vitamin to pair with your multi-vitamin
- You’re vegan or vegetarian
Backed by 20 years of scientific research, EyePromise Zeaxanthin + Lutein is guaranteed to help protect vision naturally as well as provide nutritional support for vegans or vegetarians.